Ms. Chuang is a partner in the firm’s New York office. She advises on start-up and intellectual property issues (trademark/copyright), with a focus on the creative industries. She represents clients in commercial litigation matters, particularly involving intellectual property, contracts, and real estate.
Ms. Chuang was a founding partner of Yim & Chuang LLP, and was formerly associated with Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP. Ms. Chuang served as law clerk to the Hon. Anne E. Thompson in the District of New Jersey (2005-2006). While in law school, Ms. Chuang was a Notes and Article Editor of the Fordham Law Review and a staff member of the Fordham Law Moot Court Board.
Columbia University (B.A., 2001)
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Successfully defended company’s right to keep its domain name in URDP arbitration.
- Represented journalist against defamation claims by a Chinese hedge fund manager regarding an editorial published in a Chinese newspaper.
- Won trademark opposition proceeding on behalf of a major game company based on likelihood of confusion.
- Counseled clients in creative industries regarding business formation, business contracts, agent contracts, vendor contracts, publishing contracts, licensing and other contractual issues.
- Counseled businesses in a variety of industries on trademark clearance and registration issues.
General Commercial Litigation
- Obtained settlement for full amount of an arbitration award on behalf of awardee in an action challenging an arbitration award.
- Successfully represented senior citizen client to clear title to and sell a property in a tax lien foreclosure matter to obtain funds to assist with living expenses.
- Successfully intervened on behalf of tenants in an Article 78 proceeding to appeal application of a special zoning district’s certificate of no harassment requirement. The petition was dismissed, in favor of tenants’ position.
- Represent shareholders of a cooperative building in a shareholder derivative action involving improper payments to board members.
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Co-chair, Intellectual Property Committee (2010-2013)
- Recording Secretary (2012-2013)
- Treasurer (2013-2015)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Litigation Committee (2010-2011)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association
- Task Force on Professionalism (2012-present)
- Columbia College Women
- Mentoring Committee (2011-2012)
- Membership Committee (2011-2012)
PUBLISHED WORKS, PRESENTATIONS AND HONORS
- Your Data, Exposed, NYCLA Newsletter, at 3 (February 2013)
- Why All the Copyright Angst Over Pinterest, NYCLA Newsletter, at 2 (November 2012)
- Who Should Win the Garbage Wars? Lessons from the Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Act, 72 FORDHAM L. REV. 2403 (2004).
- The How-To of Successful Motion Practice” Association of the Bar of the City of New York, moderator, 2011 and 2013)
- IP 101 for Visual and Performing Artists (Asian American Bar Association of New York, panelist, 2011)
- Lessons from “The Social Network” – Legal Issues for Start-ups (Asian American Bar Association of New York, panelist and moderator, 2011)
- Volunteer Lawyer Award, Housing Conservation Coordinators (2008)